Congratulations to Griffin Cutaiar who received second chair with the Howard County Middle School Gifted and Talented Band! The Howard County Middle School Gifted and Talented Band is an honors ensemble comprising of students from every middle school in Howard County. Talented students are selected to audition for the GT Band. Once selected, they participate in various rehearsals in order to prepare for the GT Band concert. Griffin performed on November 2 at Glenelg High School.
Congratulations to RSM student Marlon Brown who received the 2014 Rosa Pryor Music Scholarship for Piano Performance in the Middle School Level Category. As part of the 2014 scholarship recipient, Marlon will perform at the Rosa Pryor annual award banquet on Sunday, October 26th, held at 4219 Primrose Ave Baltimore MD.
Congratulations to RSM student Kallista Liu who received a 40% merit scholarship for the 2014-15 season with the Children’s Chorus of Maryland. Children’s Chorus of Maryland empowers musical children and promotes the fine art of music by providing music literacy for vocal musicians.
Kallista is also active in sports. She is a member of the Junior Tennis Champions Center (JTCC) 10-and-under advanced team. Recently she was awarded first place with her 10 and under team from JTCC at the 2014 Stars of Tomorrow Junior Challenge held at the William H. G. Fitzgerald Tennis Center. The event, hosted by DC Parks and Recreation, is in its fifth year of competition. It showcases the best young star tennis players in the area.
RSM’s is an active member of the National Guild of Piano Teachers and a Sponsor-Member of the National Fraternity of Student Musicians (NFSM). We desire to have all our piano students qualify for NFSM Membership by participating in the National Piano Guild Auditions as follows:
1. Participation in Guild Auditions in the memorized classification.
2. Performance of 1 to 20 memorized pieces (and Musicianship Phases) for entry in the non- competitive Annual National Piano Playing Auditions.
3. Each student appears before the experienced Guild examiner at the appointed time. Since Guild Auditions are considered a legitimate excuse for school absence, parents may request permission from school authorities for their children to be excused to perform in the National Piano Playing Auditions. (A form letter is available).
4. Every year a student enters Auditions, he/she will receive the following rewards:
◦ A Membership Certificate according to classification.
◦ An NFSM Membership Pin in Bronze (Pledge, Local and District), Silver (State), or Gold (National or International). Hobbyist and Ensemble students receive a bronze pin.
◦ Analysis Chart and Report Card signed by the Guild examiner.
Congratulations to RSM student Teela Comeau who will be attending the University of Miami on a $30,000 a year music scholarship!
Soprano, Teela Comeau, is a well-rounded performer and musician. As an intern for the choral department at Centennial High School, she aids the conductor in the direction of the Concert Choir, and has had the opportunity to conduct the ensemble on occasion.
Teela has been involved in Madrigals, the premier curricular choir in her school, for two years. She demonstrates her versatility and strong vocal range by singing in both the alto and soprano sections. Teela also participates in Vintage Voices, an extracurricular choir that sings 50’s and 60’s style popular songs at nursing homes in Howard County.
Teela presented her senior recital, an all solo performance, at RSM during the fall of 2013. In the fall of 2014 Teela will attend the University of Miami majoring in Music Education. She is looking forward to pursuing a career in music.
Congratulations to RSM student Alecia Scott for receiving the 2011 Rosa Pryor Music Scholarship for Piano Performance in the Elementary School Level Category. As part of the 2011 Scholarship recipient, Alicia presented a mini concert at the Rosa Pryor 2011 formal banquet.