Congratulations to RSM student, Sean Cheng, for winning 1st place in the 2019 MSMTA Spring Piano Festival group 15B. Congratulations to RSM student, Vincent Zhou, for winning 2nd place in the 2019 MSMTA Spring Piano Festival group 6B. Congratulations to RSM student, Alexandra Wu, for receiving honorable mention in the 2019 MSMTA Spring Piano Festival group 9H. Congratulations to RSM students, Jason Yu, for receiving honorable mention in the 2019 MSMTA Spring Piano Festival group 10I. The MSMTA Spring Festival Piano Competition happens once a year at Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center and the University of Maryland, College Park. Students perform two pieces from different periods. Way to go Sean, Vincent, Alexandra and Jason!
Congratulations to RSM student, Olivia Hammond, for winning first place, gold medal, in the Classical Instrumental Music category of the 2019 Act-So competition in Howard County. Olivia will compete in Act-So’s national competition in Detroit Michigan this summer.
ACT-SO is an Afro-Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Olympics that is sponsored by the NAACP. It is a yearlong achievement program designed to recruit, stimulate, and encourage high academic and cultural achievement among African-American high school students. Students have the option to compete in categories ranging from science, humanities, business, and performing and visual arts.
- State Winners (performed 7-9 memorized pieces): Nicholas Emig
- District Winners (performed 4-6 memorized pieces): Sebastian Clare, Aiko Gulston, Samaira Hammond, Shishir Nallar, Soraya Sharif, Danielle Spence, Sydney Smith
- Local Winners (performed 2-3 memorized pieces): Nadia Walcott, Anisa Jackson, Krishna Gawandi, Alexandra Wu, Shravan Yoagentharan, Misha Usmani, Kemka Ihemelandu, Kainetochi Ihemelandu, Sophia Clare, Tatyana Chasen, Alexander Sleeman, Isaiah McCray, Nia Holland, Valentina Rosa, Laila Sheikh, Kim Burson
- A Membership Certificate according to classification.
- An NFSM Membership Pin in Bronze (Pledge, Local and District), Silver (State), or Gold (National or International). Hobbyist and Ensemble students receive a bronze pin.
- Analysis Chart and Report Card signed by the Guild examiner.
- Local Winners (performed 3-4 memorized pieces):Dev Patel, Mishty Patel and Cameron Grissom
- Pledge Winner (performed 2 memorized pieces):Kemka Ihemelandu, Kainetochi Ihemelandu and Kim Burson
- All pieces must be memorized.
- Performance of 1 to 20 memorized pieces (and Musicianship Phases).
- Each student appears before the experienced MTNA examiner at the appointed time.
- Every year a student participates in the Festival, he/she will receive the following rewards:
- A Certificate according to classification and grading.
- A MTNA studio festival Pin or Medallion according to entry level and grading.
- Analysis Chart and Report Card signed by the MTNA examiner.
- Superior: Aiko Gulston, Jillian Shoultz, Ethan Shoultz, Matthew Wu, Laila Sheikh, Nicholas Emig, Samaira Hammond, Alexander Sleeman, John Dorsey.
- Excellent: Valentina Rosa, Shishir Nallar