2019 Awards and Honors
Doris and Larry Chase Sonata Competition
Congratulations to RSM student, Sean Cheng, for receiving honorable mention in the Doris and Larry Chase Sonata Competition this year. The Doris and Larry Chase Sonata Competition is held for students in 12th grade and below. Way to go Sean!
MSMTA Piano Solo Competition – Student Achievement
Congratulations to all RSM students that completed in the 2019 MSMTA Spring Piano Solo Festival. Our students received outstanding ratings and awards:
- 1st Place Winner: Sean Cheng
- 2nd Place Winner: Vincent Zhou
- Honorable Mention Award: Alexandra Wu and Jason Yu
- Excellent Rating: Nicholas Emig and Grace Lowden
Congratulations to RSM student, Olivia Hammond, for winning first place, gold medal, in the Classical Instrumental Music category of the 2019 Act-So competition in Howard County. Olivia will compete in Act-So’s national competition in Detroit Michigan this summer.
MTNA Studio Festival Awards
Congratulations to RSM’s 2019 MTNA Studio Festival Winners Scoring Superior Plus, Superior, Superior Minus, Excellent Plus and Excellent ratings:
- Local Winners (performed 3-4 memorized pieces):Dev Patel, Cameron Grissom, Kim Burson
- Pledge Winner (performed 2 memorized pieces): Taylor Anderson, Kia Bourne, Amisa Humphrey, Lillian Sengamalay
Piano Guild Awards
Congratulations to RSM’s students that participated in the 2019 Howard County Chapter of Piano Guild. Our students received Superior Plus, Superior, Superior Minus and Excellent Plus ratings:
- State Winners (performed 7-9 memorized pieces): Nicholas Emig, Sydney Smith, Danielle Spence, Shishir Nallar
- District Winners (performed 4-6 memorized pieces): Soraya Sharif, Shravan Yoagentharan, Anisa Jackson, Nadia Walcott, Aiko Gulston, Matthew Wu, Laila Sheikh, Alexander Sleeman, Sebastian Clare, Sophia Clare
- Local Winners (performed 2-3 memorized pieces): Valentina Rosa, Taylor Jackson, Zane Bourne, Myles Walcott, Alexandra Wu, Allison Sabo, Kim Burson, Isaiah McCray, Tatyana Chasen
Congratulations to the following students that received special plaques this year:
- Founder’s Plaque Award: Danielle Spence and Nicholas Emig
Congratulations to RSM student, Anika Sinha, who was selected to participate in the 2019 National Juniors Honors Choir. She will be performing at the Royal Festival Hall in London this summer. She was selected after a nationwide audition in which she had to submit two recorded songs. Anika will also participate in the Women’s Gifted and Talented (GT) Ensemble next year when she starts high school. Way to go Anika
Congratulations to RSM student, Olivia Hammond, who is one of four freshman to be accepted into the Howard County High School Gifted and Talented Orchestra (HSGTO)! The HSGTO is an honors ensemble comprising of students from every high school in Howard County. Talented students are selected to audition for the GT Orchestra. Once selected, they participate in various rehearsals in order to prepare for GT Orchestra concerts.